Before you can start using your newly purchased iPhone 5, you need to activate it first. Keep in mind that the activation process of an iPhone varies widely depending on the model and the iOS version.
This article focuses on how to activate an iPhone 5. Here are the steps:
- Power on your phone.
- Slide it to start setting it up.
You will be shown a map of the world.
- Select your region and language.
- Tap the “Next” button.
- Choose whether or not to turn on the location service.
You may not choose to switch it on if you do not regularly use GPS service. If you choose to turn it on, however, you should be aware that it can consume battery life. Thus, you must only switch it on if you will regularly use iPhone 5 in locating theaters, restaurants and other establishments in your area.
- Select a Wi-Fi network.
You may also use your provider’s cellular network if you wish.
- Set up your iPhone 5 through the three options provided.
- If you are new to iPhone 5, you must choose Set Up As New iPhone option. However, if you already own an older iPhone that runs iOS 5, then you can download all apps and data that you have uploaded to the iCloud and transfer it to your new phone.
- Another option is to restore your data from your iPhone running an older version of iOS. If you choose this option, you need to connect your iPhone 5 to your computer and open iTunes. From there, you can sync all your content.
- Enter your Apple ID
You need this ID if you wish to purchase apps through iTunes, use iCloud, etc.
- Enable iCloud
This is to help you make a back up copy of the essential data on your phone. In this way, it will be easier for you to access your data in case you have accidentally deleted them or lost your phone.
- Choose to use Siri or not.
- Enable Find My iPhone option.
This app lets you locate a lost or stolen phone using your phone’s built-in GPS.
In other countries, like the Philippines, you will need a SIM card to activate your iPhone 5.
If you purchased your phone from Verizon Wireless, the activation process is almost the same. You can activate it through these steps:
- Back up your phone
- Initiate 4G LTE Service. It requires you to dial a number through your new phone.
- Activate the iPhone 5 by following the on-screen instructions. You will need a Wi-Fi network to activate your device.
The activation process may take a few minutes to complete.